The Original Trailer For “The Princess Bride”

YouTube Preview Image

It’s a funny thing. A movie that I can quote almost in its entirety… and I’ve never seen the trailer. Makes sense. I probably didn’t even see the movie until the early ’90s. I was 9 years old when it came out. I think this is gonna become a ‘thing’ for me. Find movies that I absolutely love… classics… and watch the trailers.

Trailers in the ’80s were TERRIBLE. Did you see how many spoilers were in there? Amazing how far the cinema industry has come in the art of making trailers. I LOVE The Princess Bride and that trailer doesn’t even make me want to see it. Nowadays, they can take an absolutely crap movie and make an amazing 1:30 trailer that will make everybody want to see it. You’ve come a long way, Hollywood… you deceptive, manipulative bastards.

*updated from the comments: a very good re-make of the Princess Bride trailer*

YouTube Preview Image

This entry was posted in Movies and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to The Original Trailer For “The Princess Bride”

1. Bull Benn says:

How awesome was the saxophone in the background though?

2. Pinky says:

I was 8 but remember the trailer because that was back in the day when we were still watching Robin on Santa Barbra!

3. RyanH says:

If you think 80′s trailers were terrible, try 70′s trailers. Google the original Star Wars trailer (or even TESB’s trailer)…it’s awful.

4. Leann says:

I missed seeing the trailer back then too. I went to see it at the theater when it came out because a friend had seen it and said it was good. I think I’m going to go look up trailers for other movies too.

5. Tom Jamieson says:

One of my favorite movies of all time. Like you I can almost recite it verbatim. But you’re right – what an awful trailer!

6. Jen Boyles says:

Wow, even the voice over guy sounded bored! Seriously glad I never saw this trailer till now, I love Princess Bride!!

7. Abu says:

I would love to see someone re-do the trailer….properly.

8. Sarah Derryberry says:

I grew up watching this movie….love it then and still do….there was a time I watched it everyday…this trailer does not do it any justice at all….

9. Chris says:

Thank you for posting that. You are right that is an awful trailer. I adore this movie and that didn’t even motivate me to put in the blue ray player.

10. samantha says:

I’m actually almost mad about that trailer. Cheesy saxophone, spoilers, narrator talking over everything with no emotion, and they gave away so many good lines!!! It is my favorite movie of all time and I’ve read the book twice. I know movie trailers were awful 25 years ago but come on!!! It makes you not even WANT to watch it.

11. Sarah says:

I grew up in the 80s and have never seen the trailer but it is one of the first movies I memorized and is one of the best movies you’ll ever see

12. Paul says:

I want in! Finding and sharing horrible 70s and 80s trailers for good movies totally needs to be a sport! This one will be hard to top.

13. Kari says:

Wow. The second one is so much better. No wonder it has taken so long for people to appreciate one of the best movies ever.

14. Nan Schaefer says:

After watching this trailer I’m glad I was mostly dead all day.

15. Jaime says:

The re-do trailer definitely much better! I was young when it came out too, never remembered seeing the original trailer as I saw the movie on VHS first (wore that tape out). Amazing what a terrible job they did. Thanks for sharing.