Parenting 101: Mom Lets Her 10-year-old Kid Get a Tattoo

ATLANTA, Ga. — A Georgia mother who was arrested for allowing her 10-year-old to get a tattoo said she had no idea it was illegal for him to get one, even with her consent. When Chuntera Napier’s son Gaquan Napier asked her if he could get a memorial tattoo for his 12-year-old brother Malik who died after being hit by a car, Napier was touched by the request. “My son came to me and said, ‘Mom, I want to get a tattoo with Malik on it, rest in peace,’” she told ABC News’ Atlanta affiliate WSBTV. “It made me feel good to know that he wanted his brother on him.” When Gaquan Napier was asked why he wanted the tattoo, he said, “Because it represents my brother.” “What do I say to a child who wants to remember his brother? It’s not like he was asking me, ‘Can I get Sponge Bob?” Napier said. “He asked me [for] something that’s in remembrance of his brother. How can I say no?” Gaquan got a tattoo on his right arm of his brother’s name and his former basketball jersey number. Napier also has memorial tattoos for her son on her right arm.When someone at his school noticed the tattoo and contacted authorities, Napier was arrested on Tuesday and charged with misdemeanor cruelty and being a party to a crime, according to WSBTV. Napier bonded out of jail on Wednesday but is shocked that her consent was not enough for her son to get a tattoo.“I always thought that if a parent gave consent, then it was fine,” she said. “How can somebody else say that it’s not okay? He’s my child, and I have the right to say what I want for my child. I can’t go tell anybody else what I want for their child.” A Georgia law from 2010 states, “It shall be unlawful for any person to tattoo the body of any person under the age of 18, except a physician or osteopath.” The Acworth Police Department did not respond to request for comment and the Smyrna, Ga. artist who did the tattoo is also under investigation.

Chuntera, Gaquan and Malik. Welcome to Atlanta where the playas play! So, this mom let her 10-year-old get a tattoo. His older brother died and he wanted a tattoo of his brother’s jersey number on his arm, along with his name and “R.I.P.” His mom said yes…and promptly got arrested when the school notified the police. Video interview here. I get that this is a kind family gesture type of act, and it’s sad, heartwarming origins…but c’mon MOM… he’s 10 years old.

How can somebody else say that it’s not okay? He’s my child, and I have the right to say what I want for my child. I can’t go tell anybody else what I want for their child.” Good call, Mom. I’ll be sure to have the cops on speed-dial for when he asks you if he can beat up a kid, try some crack, drink a .40, drive your car, or steal someone else’s.

He’s not fit for the kind of decision that will permanently ink your skin for life. In fact, I’d venture to say that anybody wearing a Muppets tshirt with Animal on it… is not fit to make that kind of decision.

[lobbed by Bull Hodge]

10 Responses to Parenting 101: Mom Lets Her 10-year-old Kid Get a Tattoo

1. Cohner says:

You’re no fun, BP.

2. Dashawn Claiborne says:

I do not want to offend anyone, but if the mother says she did not know that it was against the law.. the what can anyone say… she did??? no you cannot because you do not know whats in her mind. i think the tattoo artist should have some knowledge in what is and isn’t against the law. I’m sure if I had a mother come into my business and say she wants her son tatted, the I will, I would have asked questions, or sat her down and told her, Look, I cannot give your son a tattoo because it is against the law. I say all that to say this, I do not think the mother should be the only one charged because it wasn’t like she tattoo her own son… the artist should be fined or something.

3. love malik says:

LOOK LIKE TO ME A WHOLE LOT OF BULLSHIT YALL SAY DONT FORGET THERE IS A GOD!!!WORRY ABOUT A TATOO THAT SAY RIP MALIK THAT VERY DISRESPECTFU!!!!.GOD SENT HIGH HE LOOKS LOW YOU DONT KNOW WHATS IN HIS PLANS FOR YOU OR UR FAMILY!!!ITS SAD ALL U YALL WHO SAID SOME FUCK UP SHIT ABOUT TWO CHILDREN!!!WORRY BOUT WHY THE GIRL WHO KILLED MALIK WAS NEVER ARREST OR ON TV!!!!!!GOD KNOWS CHUNTERA LOVE ALL HER CHILDREN!!! NOTHIN YALL CAN DO ARE SAY CAN CHANGE THAT NOW OR EVER!!!ONE SMILEIN FROM HEAVEN AND THREE HERE SMILEIN.TELL ME THREE THINGS!!!!1HOW DOES IT FEEL TO LOSE A CHLID2HOW DOES IF FEEL TO SEE YOUR BROTHER KILLED AT IN FRONT OF U AT 11,9AND THE MOST REALEST THING OF ALL CAN YOU B**CHES WITH ALL THIS COLOR SHIT,THINKIN U KNOW PPL CAUSE OF THE BULLSHIT!!3 YOU AND THE FUCKIN LAW BRING MALIK BACK.DAMN ALL THIS SMART ASS TALK YALL GOT TELL US SOMETHING.CANT DO THAT CAN U?TWO SCHOLAR SHIPS IN SHUNTRAVEIOUS MALIK NAPIER NAME,NO MVP ITS THE SHUNTRAVEIOUS MALIK NAPIER AWARD AND MALIK PKY.WAY RUN TELL THAT.OH DONT THAT SAME MOM WHO YALL GOT MUCH TO SAY BOUT OH THEY GAVE BACK TO THREE HUNDRED KIDS SCHOOL SUPP,FRESH FOOD OFF THE GRILL,ACTIV.WITH THE CHIDREN THAT MADE THE NEWS TOO.GOT SHIRTS GOT HATS GOT PITCURES GOT MEMORY GOT MEMORY TATOOS ASK AROUND LOT OF CHILDREN LOVE THAT LADY AND LOVE MALIK .BECAREFUL CAUSE YOU EVIL DEVILS THATS GODS CHILD.THE DECTIVE STATED TO A 12,10&2 AND MOM AND DAD TWO YEAR YALL AINT GOT OF “THIS”YET AND THIS PICTURES IS OUTRAGES.TALKIN BOUT THE FAMILY NEED SPECIAL HELP.LOOK LIKE YALL NEED SPECIAL HELP MALIK IS SOMEBODY AND HIS GOD CHILD WAS ONLY 12 THE MOST SMARTEST MOST RESPECTFUL TALENT GOD LOVE CHILD SHUNTRAVEIOUS MALIK NAPIER ONE OF A KIND.ITS SAID ON MARTIN LUTHER KING DAY,LAW DIDNT EVEN NO THE LAW,LIED AND BASCIALLY YALL EVIL BI***ES ARE REALLY SAY F**K MALIK F**K YALL AND F***K YALL HEART.SORRY YALL LOVE NOT STRONG FOR YOURS.

4. love malik says:

AND TO THINK SOME ONE WHO JUST GOT IS GOING TO BE RIPIN THE RUNWAY,IT NOT BOUT THE LOOK IS THE LOVE GOT TEETH.BUT WHTAT U DID NOT KNOW CHUNTERA WAS HIT A THE SAME AGE SHE TAKE THE TEETH LOST TO HAVE MEET FOUR MOST BLESS CHILDREN OF HER LIFE.WHAT ARE U GOING TO BE ABLE TO TRADE WITH GOD FOR UR MOUTH AND JUDGE MEANT LAUGH NOW CRY LATER.RIP MALIK NEVER LETTIN UR NAME DIE FOR NO ONE OR NOTHIN .HES HAPPY AND SMILEIN THATS ALL THAT MATTER.GOD GOT THEM U BETTER GET HIM YALL HAVE CROSS THE LINE IN GOD EYES.EVEN THAT SAME 10YR OLD KNOW THAT ,HE EAT GOOD AND IS LOVE and know who GOD IS!!!!RIP Malik GOD FORGIVE THEY DONT KNOW IN BETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. love malik says:

ALL THIS COLOR JOKES AND STATMENTS WHERE DO WHITE PPL COME FROM WHO DO HALF OF UR CHILDREN WANT TO BE AROUND.LIKE WHO TAUGHT U . IF BLACKS ARE NOT IMPORTANT AND THE MOST WISE LOVE BY GOD PPL WHY ARE WE STILL BEIN LIED TOO.DAMN CANT U SEE A FAMILY HAVE LOSS A12YROLD CHILD YOU DONT KNOW HOW THEIR HEART FEEL.IF NO GUESS YALL ARE IN HELL AND GOIN TO HELL

• Cree-dub says:

My god….did you hear that? That was the sound of race relations going back 40 years.

Also, your caps lock is on. Don’t know if you knew that.

6. BigBallinBrett says:

Dear Love Malik,
    I think it is great that you are very passionate about this issue, but you aren’t making any sense, nor are you speaking in english. Additionally, none of your arguments or complaints have anything to do with what this blog is discussing. They are saying that 10 year olds shouldn’t get tattoos, period. If you are going to be in heaven, speaking like this, count me out, I’ll take my chances in Hell.
    Good luck, go back to school.

7. Caster says:

Caps Lock is just below Tab, and just above Shift on the left side of a standard keyboard. unless you were yelling the whole time, ALL CAPS is more difficult to read and actually causes emphasis to be lost. but it did still sound angry.

8. DetroitPD says:

A. Did you steal your computer? I can’t imagine a reason someone would buy one if they can’t even read.

B. That computer you stole came with a broken keyboard – none of the punctuation keys work.

C. You type like you just got a tattoo on all your fingers and your eyes.

Love,