People Let Me Tell Ya ‘Bout My Beeeesssst Friend….

(AP Photo/Jonathan Bachman)

Darren Sproles and Drew Brees. I just love this picture for a few reasons. First, by the miracle of photography angles, science and crouching Brees… Tiny Darren somehow looks taller than Drew in this picture, and that’s a comical thought. Second, these are two of my favorite ex-Chargers, as noted here and here, together being best friends on a team that I don’t hate. Third, these Saints throwbacks are pimp. So clean.

Ok, crazy tangent here…the headline of this blog: “People Let Me Tell Ya ‘Bout My Beeeesssst Friend….” Somebody tell me how I know that song. I know it, I can sing it. I think it’s some sitcom or commercial, like some slow-motion-prancing-type-of-scene pops into my mind, but I have no clue. I took it to google, and found out it’s the song “Best Friend” by Harry Nilsson (who I’ve never heard of) and it was featured in the TV show “The Courtship of Eddie’s Father” (which I’ve never heard of) and covered by “Rob & Big” (who I’ve never heard of). So, how do I know it? Huge Lobshots shoutout to the lobster that can tell me. (Do work, J dot) Thanks…

This entry was posted in Football, NFL and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to People Let Me Tell Ya ‘Bout My Beeeesssst Friend….

1. Mac says:

It’s from a tool commercial, some robot and a bike and a kid. That’s all I remember,
    Maybe Craftsmen or Black and Dekker.

• Caster says:

Black and Decker*, btw. i own a toaster oven and a power drill from the folks over at B&D. Decent products. Not quite Craftsman quality, which (as you recalled) is what this commercial is, but solid.

wow. great find, caster.
        however, i’ve never seen that commercial…until just now.

so, that is NOT how i know the song. this will haunt me til the day i die. how in the name of zeus’ butthole do i know that song?

(welcome to The Rock)

2. Herm says:

i know it from Rob & Big…it won like 11 emmys (i think)

3. Ben Hodge says:

Is it just me or does Sproles’ thigh look bigger than his waist? What’s the guy squat– like 4,000 lbs?

4. Bluhdow! says:

Harry Nilsson sings the song. Bottom of the wiki page has a bunch of pop culture bits that use his work.

5. Chuck says:

was also the background song for some nfl promotion/commercial back in the day that had john elway in it…but yeah, rob and big for sure